Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Generation 1-Chapter 5


The weeks went by, and I started to see a change in myself. I was more moody than normal; but could you blame me? I nearly always stayed sick, though it was mainly in the mornings. Ryan said it was because I wasn't eating enough, and so he kept stuffing me with loads of food and expected me to eat every last bit. Under normal circumstances, I would enjoy having a man pamper and cook for me, but this wasn't normal.


With all the junk he kept feeding me, I could still hardly keep anything down. Although I was hungry a lot, my body seemed as though it got too much. Which I would say it would, considering. I started putting on weight! Of course that made me even crankier, because I didn't want to get any bigger around my waist that I already hat. When I told Ryan this, he simply responded, "More to love!" But I didn't love it.


"How does my lady feel today?" Ryan asked as he walked in the door from work.

"Like usual," I mumbled as I leaned into this kiss.

"Hmm. Sounds like I'm not giving you enough to eat!" he said and smiled. I frowned. "What?"

"You're giving me enough to eat. Actually, if you haven't noticed, I'm getting fatter!" I exclaimed. He shrugged.

"You're not getting fatter, dear. You're just perfect." Cheesy. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Well, since you're not hungry right now, do you mind if I head off to bed? It was a busy day at work." I ushered him away. Ever since I became sick, he's been staying at my house. He pretty much lived there now, except most of his things were still at his house.

But anyways, now that he was gone to bed, I could have more time to do something I'd been thinking about. .



 I stood outside the hospital. I had to make a decision; should I go, or should I not? It was especially hard because Ryan had no earthly ideal that I would be making this visit, and I wasn't even sure if I had the funds to afford it. But surely I could make an exception. Besides, what if I had some rare illness or something? I had to know for certain.


"So, Ms. Cliffe, would you mind telling me why you're visiting?" the female doctor asked.



"Well, Doc," I said, "I've been sick for the past few months. Moodiness, fatigue, cramps, extreme hunger--but not really able to keep anything in my system. ." The doctor began scribbling something down in her notes, which I assumed would be my symptoms.

"Alright, Ms. Cliffe. I have a suspicion to what it might be, but we're going to run some tests. Sit tight, the nurse will be right with you," she informed me before leaving. I sighed. At least it might not be so major as I thought.


The nurse that came led me to a small room, or a corner rather, where I was told the doctor would come to see me with the results of the tests. I was anxious in knowing what was wrong with me. The wait seemed to last forever, but it really wasn't. The wait in the waiting room was longer than this one.


A few minutes later, the woman appeared. "Ms. Cliffe, when was your last period?" she asked. Her question caught me off guard.

"Um. I don't remember. But what does my period have to do with this?" I asked her.

"OK. Have you acted in any sexual activity lately?" she asked.


"I... Umm.." How was I supposed to know that when I didn't even know. But then again . . the shots flashed before my eyes.
~~~~


~~~~


"Ma'am?" she called. "It's a yes or no question, ma'am."

I shrugged my shoulders. 

"See, let me show you," she said, motioning me to stand. She pressed on my stomach gingerly, sending a small tremble through it.


"Woah! What was that?" I asked her. She looked up at me and smiled.

"Congratulations, Ms. Cliffe, you're a few months pregnant."


I was shocked. One side of me was overwhelmed with joy, but the other half was full of sadness--or insecurity. What would Ryan think? I contemplated telling him. There was no doubt that I couldn't hide it. Especially not now. Plus it was too late for an abortion--not that I agreed with those anyways. I would have to tell him.


Everything was peaceful two weeks later. I snuggled up to him, basking in the comfort of being in his arms. I was afraid that this might be the last time. In all truth, I didn't want it to be. Nobody has ever made me feel as though Ryan does. . . As if I actually exist, and am worth something. But I needed to tell him. I looked up at him and he grumbled in response to my movement. I shook him slightly, causing him to look up at me.

"Ry," I began. He stared at me, allowing me his undivided attention. "Ry, I went to the doctor two weeks ago."

He sighed. "And what did they say?"

"Ry?"

"Yes?"

"I'm pregnant." His eyes widened and he sat up.


His hand rested on my lower stomach. "So you're pregnant?" he asked.

"Yes. . . ,"I replied slowly.

"Why would you ever hide such a thing?"

"I thought-"

"What? What did you think? I would leave you?" he asked quickly, a little agitation in his voice.

I nodded helplessly, tears slowly beginning to trickle down my face. He pulled me closer, folded in his arms. He smiled down to me. I could nearly swear my heart skipped a beat when he said, "Jennie, I would NEVER leave you. And this baby? It's just another part of our love story."

No comments:

Post a Comment